What is an ICP License?
An ICP (Internet Content Provider) license is a permit issued by the Chinese MIIT (Ministry of Industry and Information Technology) to permit China-based websites to operate in China. The ICP license numbers for Chinese websites can often be found on the bottom of the website homepage.
Why do I need to apply for an ICP license?
According to the government of China legal provision, All public websites in China must have an ICP number. If you don’t have an ICP number, your website can be shut down by the hosting provider with no notice.
Can I get an ICP License as a foreigner?
No, only China resident (excluding Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Xinjiang) can apply for ICP license. If you are foreigner you must find a China resident in charge of website.
How to get an ICP License?
You cannot get it by yourself. You must order a web hosting from a local China based provider with the right to obtain ICP license. And then you are required to provide necessary documents and take a photo in front of a curtain with the logo of MIIT.
How long do I have to wait until I receive my ICP license?
20 days on average. However, there are no guarantees as to how long you need to wait or whether your application will actually go through.
What is the process of applying for an ICP license?
1. Client provides the necessary documents to REDSTAR Works.
2. Client comes to REDSTAR Works’ office to take a photo in front of a curtain with the logo of MIIT.
3. Client fills in website information authenticity form with REDSTAR Works’ direction.
4. REDSTAR Works’ review documents, writes website introduction, resize images according to requirements of MIIT.
5. REDSTAR Works’ help client create an ICP account for documents submitting, and sms code verification.
6. REDSTAR Works’ submits the documents to the provincial MIIT ICP license registration system.
7. MIIT reviews the ICP license application documents, at this stage, if any document are not valid, client have to waiting for several days to get declined notice and re-submit.
8. If approved, MIIT will sends you an email message with an official ICP license registration number.
9. REDSTAR Works’ help to add the ICP number to the bottom of your website’s home page.
10. Please note that success is not guaranteed, that the whole process typically takes 15-25 days, and that REDSTAR Works’ service fee is only payable upon successful registration.